Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Movember.

This month I will be growing a moustache for charity. The event is called Movember  and we will be raising funds and awareness for men's health issues including prostate cancer.

You may donate to this cause here


Where does the money go?
From the website

The Movember Effect: Awareness & Education, Survivorship, Research
The funds raised in the US support prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. The funds raised are directed to programs run directly by Movember and our men’s health partners, the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG, the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Together, the three channels work together to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in line with our strategic goals in the areas of awareness and education, survivorship and research. 

For more information on the programs we are funding please visit the following:
Prostate Cancer Foundation
LIVESTRONG, The Lance Armstrong Foundation
Awareness & Education
Global Action Plan



Watch my moustache grow!
Day 1: Clean Shaven
I just signed up yesterday, the official first day of Movember, so I will start today clean shaven.

I'll post my progress through the month.
Thanks to those that have already supported the cause!




Incidentally, one of my supporters was also someone I participated in the 1997 Washington AIDS ride with. That was the first, and last time I attempted to raise funds since it wound up costing me a lot of money. I had moved to Washington, DC in 1997, with a job, a bike, and about 50 dollars. I signed up for the Shakespeare Theatre AIDS ride team. There was a commitment to raise a certain amount of money  and I was unable to raise the appropriate funds and wound up having to pay a lot of money out of pocket. Money that i didn't have. I did not know many people in DC yet, had no social networking sites to utilize, and had never tried raising money before.  It was a very bad year for someone that was working in the arts, in a new city, and very very cash strapped. Plus the AIDS ride was very strenuous and since i was riding on a cheap mountain bike, and had never done a long distance ride, it really kicked my ass. This completely put me off of all fund raising endeavors and made it really hard for me to ever want to ask people for money again. So it is with great reservations and humility that I accepted the request to join TEAM BOUNDARY STONE in their goal to raise money.  

So thank you Lynn Coughlin for helping out!


If you are so inclined, you may contribute to our cause here:

thank you.




No comments: