Based on its successful Artist in Residence program for musicians, Strathmore is starting a Fine Artist in Residence program in 2009-2010 to support and foster the artistic development of promising local emerging artists near the college or graduate level. 2 selected artists will work under the guidance of Strathmore education and fine art staff and professional artist and program mentor Alfredo Ratinoff.
Emerging artists would be expected to:
• Attend all workshops, professional development, lecture/demonstrations and the opening session for the program.
• Meet at least twice with their mentor
• Create a new work of art that would be exhibited at Strathmore during their residency
• Develop an education program that can be utilized by Strathmore Education and offered to one of our partner schools or low income groups
• Be present on one Wednesday evening to talk about their art before a public Artist in Residence concert (like a mini talk and tour), or participate in a Saturday Talk and Tour
• Work with Alfredo to create a commemorative tile that can be gifted to future and potential supporters of the program
Emerging artists will receive:
• A small stipend for materials to support the creation of a new work
• A group exhibition in the Strathmore Mansion featuring artwork of each mentor and emerging artist
• The opportunity to have 1 work of art on view at Strathmore during their residency. This work can be changed as often as once per week.
• The option to attend an additional fine art workshop at Strathmore
How to Apply:
Please submit a proposal that includes a resume, artist statement, work sample (CD, DVD, or digital images, no more than 20 pieces) and an 18 month exhibition history.
All materials should be sent to:
Local Artist Proposal
5301 Tuckerman Lane
North Bethesda, MD 20852-3385