Saturday, January 03, 2015

2014/2015

Happy 2015 Everyone!

Last year was an absolute rollercoaster for me. I bounced around in a few different housing situations, some couch surfing, a tiny bed i didn't actually fit in, and a bit of house sitting. Seeking an apartment in Washington, DC was demoralizing and at the end, pretty much impossible for me. I mostly lived out of my suitcase. I travelled quite a bit. A few trips to San Francisco. 3 or 4 trips to NYC. Detroit. Chicago. Durham. St Augustine. The Outer Banks. Miami. Toronto. Buffalo. Tons of cool places. a bit of work a bit of pleasure. I made and exhibited art. I was in Art Wynwood, and Sofa Chicago. I had a solo show with the best works I've ever created.  I spoke in front of audiences and had a fairly good professional year. But mostly, I was dealing with the fallout of a change in my life made in 2013. I struggled with the end of a marriage, giving up my pets, and losing my house, leaving my neighborhood. Certainly friends and family helped keep my head above water. It helped to separate out for me those that care and those that don't. Many things became clearer in my relationships with others. It was my best year. And my worst year. Bizarre how that can fall into place together. Life is more complicated than describable.  The untangling of things is painful and freeing. I felt both broken and refurbished.


But that's behind me now.
For 2015, I look forward to exciting things.

For starters, I'm moving to Baltimore, Maryland. I was able to get an apartment in an artist building in the Greenmount West neighborhood of Baltimore. I'm very excited to be in a new, but very familiar city, and still close enough to DC where so many of my friends are. The Station North area is full of artists, and Baltimore is a city i've always loved but only know the surface of. My first solo show was in Baltimore! 






Another big thing! With my friend David Mordini, I'm starting Otis Street Arts Project.

I'll have a lot to say about Otis Street Arts Project, as there will be a lot going on with it. but that's to come. we'll start up in February, we hope.  It's in Mount Rainier, MD, just next door to my current studio The Washington Glass School is. It will be in the old Red Dirt Studios space as they move to their new and permanent home in an old fire station.
Anyway, if you have any inclination to help support Otis Street Arts Project financially, we could really use the help, so give me a shout and we'll talk.

Other things going on for me in 2015:
I'll be speaking to a group from the New Mexico Glass Alliance in Santa Fe, NM.
On the same trip, I'll be exhibiting in Phoenix, Arizona and talking to the Arizona Glass Alliance

I have upcoming exhibitions at Salisbury University in Maryland, The Washington Glass School, Habatat Galleries in Michigan, Morgan Contemporary in Pittsburgh, and the Jacksonville Arts Center in Virginia.
Dates and more info and all upcoming events can be seen in the right hand margin.

I'm looking forward to lining up some other projects and hope to travel to Europe and Africa this year as well. *fingers crossed*

My hope is to work toward more exhibitions, find galleries that will take me to art fairs, create public art works, and do more private and commercial commissions.

I think it will be an action packed year.

As always, if you would like a piece a my work or know of great opportunities, please get in touch!

may you have a wonderful year.










1 comment:

IMGoph said...

Baltimore's lucky to have you, Sean. Looking forward to see what kind of great work you create this year!

Be well!