Saturday, September 30, 2006

more than most things, i find ruins fascinating.


i have always enjoyed things that have decayed, but especially architecture, industry, man made things. I like the vestigial parts of buildings, things no longer in use.

As a kid, i used to break into abandoned buildings to look around. I loved the ruins of the revolutionary war era forts and buildings in my hometown. I loved Ellis Island and the adandoned factories in the new york area. Things like that amaze me. They still do.


Yesterday i went on a tour of the old McMillan Sand Filtration Plant, which was a revolutionary and very advanced water treatment plant built in 1900, in my neighborhood of bloomingdale. Here are the photos i took.

1 comment:

Stef said...

These are great photos. Thanks for telling me the story - I love learning new things about DC history!